WildBrew™ Helveticus Pitch is a ready-to-use dried bacteria, a strain of Lactobacillus helveticus specifically selected for its ability to produce a wide range of sour beer styles. In comparison to WildBrew™ Sour Pitch, the new bacteria produces a more intense citrusy flavor at higher temperatures. Additionally, WildBrew™ Helveticus Pitch will deliver unmatched consistency, effortless application, fully assured performance and unparalleled purity for brewing the sour beer style of your choice.
WildBrew™ Helveticus Pitch is recommended at a dosage of 10g/hl to pour directly into the unhoped wort.
WildBrew™ Helveticus Pitch is part of a wider set of solutions for sour beer making, which also includes the newly launched bioengineered Saccharomyces cerevisiae yeast Mascoma Sourvisiae® that can produce lactic acid and ethanol simultaneously.
Classified as Lactobacillus helveticus, a facultative hetero-fermentative strain.
- Viable bacteria > 1010 CFU/g
- Dry matter > 92%
- Coliform < 102 CFU/g
- Acetic bacteria < 104 CFU/g
- Moulds < 103 CFU/g
- Yeast < 103 CFU/g
In line with Lallemand’s strict quality control and assurance procedures, every single batch of WildBrew™ Helveticus Pitch is released to the market only after passing a rigorous series of tests, guaranteeing the highest standards of purity, quality and performance.
In Lallemand’s Standard Wort conditions, WildBrew™ Helveticus Pitch bacteria exhibits:
- Fast pH drop that can be completed within 2 days (typically within 24 to 36 hours).
- High lactic acid versus lower acetic production.
- Aroma and flavor is citrus and tangy with a hint of fruit.
- The optimal temperature range for WildBrew™ Helveticus Pitch when producing sour beer styles is between 38°C to 45°C (100°F to 113°F).
Fermentation rate, fermentation time and pH drop are dependent on inoculation density, bacteria handling, fermentation temperature and nutritional quality of the wort.